Iran tried to launch a rocket on Thursday, but satellite imagery of the launch showed that the country’s latest attempt to put a satellite in orbit ended in failure.
The rocket apparently blew up on the launchpad. It was the third failed attempt this year – launches in January and February were both unsuccessful, with something going wrong in flight.
On Twitter on Friday, President Donald Trump called the latest failure a “catastrophic accident” and said the US was not involved. “I wish Iran best wishes and good luck in determining what happened,” he said.
The US has previously warned Iran against engaging in such activities, expressing concerns that the rocketry required to put a satellite in space could be used to develop long-range ballistic missiles to deliver nuclear warheads.
Satellite images from Iran’s latest rocket launch suggest that the rocket blew up on the launchpad, marking the country’s third failed launch this year.